Dec 10, 2009

Know Your Pot


Having knitting friends is a wonderful thing... well most of the time that is. Here we are only weeks before Christmas and I still have quite a few gifts to finish but what am I doing? Knitting myself (well actually my teapot) a cozy. Why? Because my dear friends started their cozies and began sharing pictures of their wonderful work.

So, of course, I jumped over the cliff with them and started knitting the Autumn Tea Cozy pattern.


Having read that this was a fun and simple project I dove right in and cast on without making a gauge swatch (warning bells begin ringing). "No gauge swatch?" you ask. That's right after all it is just a one skein tea cozy. Well, after finishing the picot hem and knitting several additional rounds I discovered that I had knit a gauge swatch - a very large gauge swatch. 






This is when I decided that in order to knit a tea cozy you must get to know your teapot. Become very familiar with him. Know his diameter, where his spout and handle are located, how tall he is and the slope of his lid.








So instead of working on the pile of Christmas UFOs, I spent an afternoon knitting and frogging, re-knitting and tinking and knitting some more. Each time trying my odd little teapot's new formfitting sweater on his cold porcelain shape.

Until at last...


...the perfect fit!

2 comments:

  1. Diane,
    I love this. You should bring it to Knit Night for a little show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute!! I love the little leaf on top, such a great detail.

    ReplyDelete